"Look up at the stars not down at your feet." Stephen Hawking (English physicist, cosmologist and author)
Welcome to Year 1
This term, we will be exploring Space, learning about the planets and writing the instructions to build a space rocket. In Maths, we will be looking at addition and subtraction, shape and beginning to extend numbers to 20. We will still be incorporating lots of time for enquiry-based learning, and for physical or mental activities, calmness and positive thinking, to promote wellbeing.
In Science, we will be investigating materials and their properties, in order to fix an astronaut’s glove! For History, we will be learning about significant people in the history of space, such as Neil Armstrong. If you have any personal heroes, please let us know, as we would love to ask and answer questions about them together.
Our Big Ideas this term are ASPIRATIONS, BRAVERY and CURIOSITY. We will be asking Big Questions such as:
- What does it look like to have aspirations and be curious? Or to be brave?
- Why is it important to be curious?
- Are there different ways to be brave?
- How can I be braver and more curious?
Inspirational People we will be looking at are:
- Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins - The first people to land on the moon in 1969
- Lionel Messi - Inspirational Argentinian footballer
- Tiera Guinn - American NASA engineer working on sending the first people to Mars.
- Amelia Earhart - the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean.
Year 1 Curriculum Letters:
Year 1 Learning Organisers:
How can I support my child?
Online phonic comics to read http://www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk/comics.html