Mathematics equips pupils with the uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. Mathematics is important in everyday life. It is integral to all aspects of life and we endeavour to ensure that children develop a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them.
At LPPS, we were early adopters of the Maths Mastery approach in the teaching and learning of mathematics. This is now successfully embedded across the school from the Early Years Foundation Stage through to Key Stage 1 and 2. The main aim of such an approach is to ensure that our children develop deep knowledge of mathematical concepts, so that our pupils do not develop gaps in their learning over time, that provide barriers to learning as they move through education.
The Principles and Features that characterise the Maths Mastery approach:
- Teachers reinforce an expectation that all pupils are capable of achieving high standards in mathematics.
- The large majority of pupils progress through the curriculum content at the same pace. Differentiation is achieved by emphasising deep knowledge and through individual support and intervention.
- Teaching is underpinned by methodical curriculum design and supported by carefully crafted lessons and resources to foster deep conceptual and procedural knowledge.
- Practice and consolidation play a central role. Carefully designed variation within this builds fluency and understanding of underlying mathematical concepts in tandem.
- Teachers use precise questioning in class to test conceptual and procedural knowledge, and assess pupils regularly to identify those requiring intervention so that all pupils keep up.
Link to LPPS EYFS Calculation Policies for Number and Shape, Space and Measure.
Link to websites that support early years mathematics
How can I support my child in mathematics?
Number and Place Value
Numberblocks - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/numberblocks
Maths Reasoning and Problem Solving
Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division http://www.mathschase.com/
Times tables rock stars - https://ttrockstars.com/
Add/Subtract - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=add
Multiply/divide - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=multiply
Division - www.youtube.com/maths4kids
Fractions - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zhdwxnb
Shapes, Space and Measure
Shape & movement - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zy72pv4