"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela (South African first black President, anti-apartheid revolutionary and philanthropist)
Welcome to Year 2
This term our learning has an English focus. We will be fully immersing ourselves in the fiction book, ‘Room on the Broom’ by Julia Donaldson. The children will develop their narrative writing skills, during this topic, and will be writing their own version of this story. We will continue to introduce the children to new learning, in line with the Year 2 objectives from the National Curriculum, alongside allowing lots of opportunities for physical or mental activities, calmness and positive thinking, to promote wellbeing.
In Design and Technology, we will create our own puppets and use them to help us retell our favourite Julia Donaldson stories. In History, we will be making comparisons between the toys we play with now and those our parents and grandparents played with in the past.
Our Big Ideas this term are Innovation and Imagination. We will be asking Big Questions such as:
- Why is imagination important?
- How can we develop our imagination? How can we become innovators?
- What innovations might happen in the future? How will these impact on our lives?
Inspirational People we will be looking at are:
- Julia Donaldson – Popular children’s storyteller, poet and songwriter; English Children’s
- Axel Scheffler – Illustrator and animator; German based in London; long-time book partner
of Julia Donaldson.
- Walt Disney - Animator, writer, film producer and entrepreneur; American responsible for
creating Walt Disney Productions.
- Steve Jobs - Creator of Apple; American inventor, designer and business magnate.
Year 2 Curriculum Newsletters:
Year 2 Learning Organisers:
How can I support my child?
Online phonic comics to read http://www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk/comics.html